Location: Abuja, Nigeria (With an estimated 40% travel to other program locations)
Position Status: Full-time, Field-based, and Regular.
Reference Number: ABV/PRO/2019/0012
Application Deadline: 19th May, 2019
About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future. Mercy Corps has been working in Nigeria since 2012 in the most marginalized regions of the country to deliver urgent, lifesaving assistance and promote development. We partner with communities to help them recover
and rebuild, while addressing root causes of conflict, insecurity, and inequality. Every month we help ensure that more than 100,000 people have enough food to eat, and our work impacts the lives of over 600,000 people across the country.
Program / Department Summary
This is a five-year United States Agency for International Development (USAID)-funded Community Initiative to Promote Peace (CIPP). The CIPP program aims to strengthen conflict prevention, mediation and early warning by facilitating community-led analysis and action to prevent, manage, and mitigate conflict and violent extremism. The program will work in twenty-four (24) high-risk local government areas in Benue, Kaduna, Kano, Katsina, Kogi and Plateau states.
General Position Summary
The Project Communications Officer will be responsible for raising awareness about CIPP-related activities among the government and Nigerian public at large. S/he will be responsible for engaging counterpart organizations and also work with the affiliated Ministries and LGAs to implement CIPP project activities and record their outcomes. An important role of the Project Communications Officer is to produce press releases,
and maintain a vibrant and engaged social media platforms. The Project Communications Officer will report to the Chief of Party. The position is based in Abuja and it requires up to (40 %) travel to Benue, Kaduna, Kano, Katsina, Kogi and Plateau states.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Oversee the project Communications strategy and activities related to project outreach;
- As directed by the COP, provide quality control on all reports, publicity materials, and other documents generated from the program with particular emphasis on those for submission to USAID;
- Collect content for weekly, monthly and quarterly status reports;
- Draft weekly status reports for submission to USAID and other stakeholders;
- Attend meetings with project partners on an ad hoc basis regarding communications, outreach, PR, and media related issues, program deliverables and reports, and USAID branding and marking guidelines;
- Assist with planning, logistics and attend project events as requested by the COP, provide technical editing and formatting assistance with program deliverables and reports;
- Manage consultant labor with regards to desktop publishing, graphic design, and technical writing/editing;
- Work closely with COP on tracking reports and deliverables as related to the monitoring and evaluation and program management plan;
- Assist technical staff with public outreach/awareness campaigns;
- Work with project partner organizations to assist them in developing and implementing communications strategies;
- Together with the policy and advocacy officer, work with project partner organizations to assist them in engaging in public advocacy/public relations campaigns to raise public awareness;
- Daily monitoring of state and federal level newspaper articles and other periodicals, including broadcast media for material substantively affecting the work of CIPP;
- Organize and coordinate with local vendors to host CIPP gatherings and public events;
- Show a willingness to perform other duties as assigned by the Chief of Party.
Reports Directly To: Chief of Party
Works Directly With: DCOP, Program officers, finance and operations and security and safety teams.
Knowledge and Experience
- At least 3 years of relevant, professional experience in roles with increasing levels of responsibility required, Five+ years preferred;
- Bachelor’s Degree in journalism, communications, publishing or similar area required; Master’s Degree preferred;
- Strong communication skills;
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe applications;
- Working knowledge of USAID policies, rules and regulations preferred;
- Previous project work experience in the Middle Belt preferred;
- Team player, with excellent organizational, training design and delivery, time management, and communication skills in English, both written and oral.
The ideal candidate will have a strong curiosity for understanding and working effectively within the complex cultural, political, security and social environment of Nigeria. He/She will be an excellent communicator, writer, multi-tasker, and able to work in ambiguous situations. He/She will be a tolerant and flexible individual able to work in difficult and stressful environments and follow procedures.
Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours when deployed in a field posting or on a visit/STA to a field posting. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Fostering a diverse and open workplace is an important part of Mercy Corps’ vision. Mercy Corps is an Equal Opportunity Employer regardless of background. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment.
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions
The position is based in Abuja and it requires up to 40% travel to field offices.
How to apply
Applicants should their CVs and Cover Letters in one document, addressing the position requirements, reference number and location to: firstname.lastname@example.org on or before 19th May, 2019.
- All applications must include the position title and reference number in the subject line
- Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview
- We are an equal opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position