Requisition ID: req5766
Job Title: RH Laboratory assistant – Maiduguri
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Maiduguri, Nigeria
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to people affected by war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home
SCOPE OF WORK:
The Laboratory technician is a member of the health team, and will be responsible for supporting the implementation of the Emergency Reproductive Health activities in Maiduguri including the MISP (Minimum Initial Service Package for RH in Crisis Situations) according to the IRC and donor work plans. He / She would perform diagnostic investigations as well as maintain the laboratory equipment in the IRC field sites. The laboratory technician will ensure the quality of medical tests done in the IRC field sites and the IRC supported health facility.
- In line with the Minimal Initial Service Package (MISP),
- Take samples and perform medical laboratory investigations requested by the clinical staff
- Adhere to and practice use of Universal Precautions and proper waste management at all IRC supported health facilities.
- Take inventory of laboratory supplies and make request for laboratory stock
- Maintain the confidentiality of clients and accord them dignity
- Document information and maintain daily logs and laboratory equipment record books.
- Keep laboratory equipment operational and following the operating instructions
- Perform quality control tests and calibrate laboratory equipment where applicable.
- Update hard and soft skills by participating in trainings.
- Monitor program supply inventory levels; perform monthly spot-checks on program inventory
- Work with and provide timely technical support to IRC’s implementing partners; maintain respectful and constructive professional relationship with partner staff, services providers and patients.
- Fully comply with IRC safety and security procedures and provide input to security monitoring and assessments to enable and promote a safe and secure environment for program implementation
Key Working Relationships:
- Position Reports to: Reproductive health Doctor
- Indirect Reporting: RH Manager, RH Officer
Education: Qualified laboratory technician/ laboratory scientist with a degree/diploma and a practicing license
- At least 2 years laboratory experience.
- Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
- Clear understanding of gender equality and gender issues for women and girls.
- Ability to maintain beneficiary confidentiality and respect at all times is essential.
- Ability to lead and train others.
- Positive and professional attitude, able to organize, maintain composure and prioritize work under pressure, work overtime when necessary and be able to coordinate multiple tasks and maintain attention to detail.
- Ability to work as a member of a team is essential.
- Ability to communicate in English and write clear and concise reports in English.
- Must be computer literate, including Microsoft Word and Excel
- Fluency in English and Hausa is a must. Knowledge of Kanuri and Shuwa will be an added advantage
The laboratory technician will work in the Bakassi camp clinic in Maiduguri as well as coordinate the laboratories in other field sites. This is security level 3 – orange
Benefits: Monthly salary, Health Insurance Coverage for Family, Pension, and Crèche Facilities available for Women with babies under 12 Months. Application Closing Date 15th July 2019
Only Shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability.