Requisition ID: req5761
Job Title: HR/Admin Intern – Maiduguri
Sector: Human Resources
Employment Category: Intern
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Maiduguri, Nigeria
The International Rescue Committee responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, IRC offers life-saving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in more than 40 countries and in 22 U.S. cities, IRC restores safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted by conflict or disaster. IRC leads the way from harm to home.
The IRC has been present in Nigeria since 2012 when the organization responded to flooding in Kogi state. In February 2014 the IRC moved into Adamawa State in NE Nigeria to provide humanitarian interventions through a multi-sectoral, integrated approach for conflict affected populations. IRC Nigeria now operates a country office in Abuja and field offices in Mubi and Yola of Adamawa State, Maiduguri and Monguno of Borno state and Damatru of Yobe State. Currently, IRC Nigeria implements programs primary health care, nutrition, environmental health, women’s protection and empowerment, protection, child protection, education, food security & livelihoods
The HR Intern will play an important role in supporting the HR Operations team but also have the opportunity to recommend improvements and impact real change.
Key Working Relationship
Position Reports to: Admin/HR Officer
- Filing of NHF, Health Insurance form, Time sheet, leave request and all staff document to their respective files.
- Assist in updating files, scanning of document and scanning and photo copy of payroll document, labeling of all staff files accordingly.
- Assist in hotel and accommodation tracking and payments
- Assist with onboarding and orientation of new hires
- Tracking of leave request form, staff movement, timesheet, contract tracking and travel document and document for payment.
- Adhere to and act in accordance with the IRC Global HR Policies and Procedures, and communicates through word and example a high standard of compliance with all applicable policies and regulations.
- Support recruitment exercise including sorting, long and shortlisting of applications
- Support in creation of new staff personal files
- Updating the existing personal files, ensuring that they all have the necessary information
- General organization of HR Office documents/paperwork
- Arrangement of hotel bookings and reservations for national and international staff to the field office after receipt of approved /filled Travel Authorization Forms(TAF’s)
- Ensure that all hotels booking’s are made in writing and copies of booking/accompanying TAF’s are available in Admin Office for record/tracking purposes.
- Processing and reconciliation of accommodation and hotels bookings related payments by COB every Friday.
- Track and monitor all IRC offices and homes administration and maintenance
- Assure that all facilities are well functioning, including housekeeping, office supplies, electricity, maintenance and repair, internet and other communications functions in the field office.
- Assure proper use and functionality of office equipment.
- Maintain proper records of all correspondence.
- Assist in procurement and distribution of monthly airtime by 30 of each month for new month distribution.
- Regular supervision of Cleaners and Cooks in the GH and Offices.
- Any other official duties assigned by the supervisor
- Opportunity for an understanding and inner-working of Global HR in an international non-profit setting
- Strengthen communication skills and understanding cultural sensitivities
- Demonstrate leadership skills while working in a team environment
- Ability to work under pressure and manage multiple priorities
- Good understanding of full-cycle recruiting
- Must have the ability to maintain confidentiality and exercise discretion
- Candidate should have the desire to learn about all aspects of HR
- Excellent organizational and follow up skills, including ability to prioritize and manage time effectively
- Keen attention to detail
- Ability to communicate fluently and effectively in English, Hausa and or Kanuri
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent organizational skills: the ability to multi-task, learn quickly, and work independently and productively in a fast-paced and detail-oriented environment
- Full professional competency in Microsoft Office Suite, especially Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint
Currently enrolled in a Bachelor’s degree or Master’s program in Human Resource Management, Public Administration or recent graduate
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.