Job Location: Makurdi, Benue
International Alert is one of the world’s leading peacebuilding organisations, with 30 years of experience supporting communities, advising governments, organisations and companies on how to build peace. Alert works with people in conflict-affected and threatened areas to make a positive difference for peace; to improve the substance and implementation of international policies relevant to peacebuilding; and to strengthen the peacebuilding sector. Alert currently has field offices in 15 countries, and was active in over 40 countries and territories across the world in 2014 in Sub-Saharan Africa, South and South-East Asia, Central Asia and the South Caucasus, Europe, Latin America, the Middle East and North Africa.
International Alert began operations in Nigeria in 2011 as a partner on security governance within the Nigeria Stability and Reconciliation programme (NSRP). Since then we have launched a social cohesion programme in the Northeast, while expanding our technical advisory in conflict and gender sensitivity to various governance and reform programmes.
The PMEO will provide support to the implementation and monitoring of a UNWOMEN-funded project on Women, Peace and Security (WPS). The overall programme will be implemented in Bauchi and Benue States and will increase women’s effective participation in peace and security processes, peace negotiations, conflict prevention and resolution; and will improve public perception on the role of women in peace and security, at all levels. The PMEO will support implementation of activities at sites in collaboration with stakeholders and according to the project workplan. S/he will collect quantitative and qualitative data and
produce reports on activities. The position reports to the Benue State Manager.
1. Project implementation
- Work with the Benue State Manager to develop and update monthly, quarterly and annual workplans
- Ensure financial and logistical preparation of activities in line with workplan and project strategy
- Develop and maintain relationships with key project stakeholders at activity sites
- Monitor the conflict context in activity sites and provide feedback to State manager
- Liaise and coordinate with other NGOs operating in activity sites
2. Financial management
- Plan activity expenditure and request funds in a timely and accurate manner
- Oversee expenditure during activities and ensure this is in line with project outcomes, and Alert and donor policies
- Ensure compliant financial documentation is collected during activities
4. Reporting, monitoring and evaluation
- Contribute to developing and implementing project monitoring and evaluation plan
- Collect quantitative and qualitative information during activities in line with M&E plan
- Prepare activity reports and contribute to donor reports
- Collect case study information and follow-up with project participants
5. Coordination with other consortium members, Alert staff and stakeholders in the region
- Participate actively in the management processes of the team, including team meetings, sharing of information, context analysis, and strategy development
- Participate in relevant state level strategic forums, as delegated by State Manager
6. Any other reasonable activities as determined by the line manager
Qualifications and Experience:
- University degree in relevant field or 2 years of equivalent
- At least 4 years of work experience in advocacy, community
engagement or similar field. Experience with an international NGO would be an asset
- Demonstrated experience working in the field of women,
peace and security
- Experience working in Benue state would be a strong advantage
- Excellent coordination and communication skills
- Good writing skills and good knowledge of Word, Excel and
- Ability to work under pressure and in a high-risk security
- Willingness to travel regularly to rural locations
- English fluency (oral and written)
- Knowledge of local languages such as Idoma and Tiv would be an advantage
Please send in a CV of maximum 3 pages and a cover letter of maximum 2 pages to firstname.lastname@example.org by by 5PM July 22nd 2019. Include your salary requirements. Applications that do not follow the above requirements will not be considered.
This position is only open to Nigerian nationals.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. If you have not heard from us within three weeks of the closing date, you can assume your application has been unsuccessful.
Please do not send follow-up emails or calls.
International Alert is an equal opportunities employer. All applicants will be judged strictly on the basis of merit.