JOB TITLE: Operations Manager
LOCATION: Abuja, Nigeria
Who We Are
Girl Effect builds youth brands and mobile platforms to empower girls to change their lives.
We’re a creative non-profit empowering girls to change their lives. Started by the Nike Foundation, we are experts in media, mobile, brand and international development: a unique mix of skills that we use to solve global problems in a different way.
We work across the world in places where girls are marginalised and vulnerable. We create youth brands and mobile platforms for young people in ways they love and interact with. We deliver these through the media and mobile tech they use every day – from apps that build skills, to TV dramas that explore vital issues, to magazines written by girls.
Context of the Role
We are looking for a dynamic and self-motivated team player to take responsibility of the day-to-day administration of the Girl Effect Nigeria (GEN) Office.
You will be responsible for leading and managing all operational matters including IT, procurement, logistics, assets, security, HR management and general administration. To be successful in this role you will also provide ongoing recommendations on how systems and processes can be improved and implement these changes. The role will include:
- Line Management responsibilities for the Operations Specialist.
- Close liaison with the Girl Effect London Operations Manager on key operational activities.
What You’ll Do
The Operations Manager plays an important role within the GEN team and will lead on the following areas:
Procurement – Lead on all procurement of goods and services for GEN in accordance with our procurement policy holding, best practice and value for money.
Security – You will work proactively with our Security Partner to ensure the security management of our Team is robust for the work that we do. This includes (but not limited to), providing duty of care for staff, updating security SOP’s, policies and procedures; undertaking risks assessments of the facilities that we use and confidently provide security briefing to travelling staff and arriving visitors.
HR Administration & Office Management – You will bring your skills and experience to bear to ensure the smooth and efficient running of the HR and office management functions. This includes supervising the day-to-day running of the office; recruitment processes for all in-country positions; updating local staff policies and procedures as required; preparing quarterly work plans for the Finance-Operations team; oversee and manage our IT infrastructure; regular reviews of our running costs for cost saving and value for money opportunities.
Asset & Inventory Management – Manage and maintain the asset / inventory register ensuring all new assets are recorded, physically labelled and safely kept.
Other/Administrative support – Effective management of the operations budget with effective forecasting and expenditure; lead on reviewing and updating all local GEN contracts and procurement; negotiate with consultants/service providers to ensure value for money on all our expenditure; work with the Gender team and Girl Safeguarding Advisor; participate in all strategic planning, budget reforecasting, training, team building and related activities of the Girl Effect Nigeria team and contribute to the overall development of the organisation.
Other duties as agreed with your Line Manager.
Who you are
- You will be educated to at least degree level in administration, management or another related field and have 5+ years’ experience working in a similar role for an International NGO or other organizations with a global remit.
- You will join us with a strong history of managing teams in all aspects of office administration including procurement, administrative support, finance, event/workshop management and IT.
- You will possess excellent personal organisational skills and be self-motivated with excellent team-working capabilities.
- You have a good level of spoken and written English with an ability to communicate well at all levels.
- You are a great multi-tasker and able to work with limited supervision.
- You are positive and energetic and are culturally aware and respectful – curious and sensitive about the cultures in which we operate.
- You will have a commitment to realising the potential of girls, and to the vision and values of Girl Effect
What Else You Should Know
As we continue to scale and grow – we are hugely ambitious for our future and we are looking for people who are driven by this to change the world for girls.
Our teams are a diverse mix across sector (non-profit and commercial) and specialisms (from Brand and Creative through to gender and Insight. You’ll learn and grow in an environment that will challenge you to think and work with a fresh perspective.
At Girl Effect, you can expect to work somewhere where you will be stretched and develop in your role, where you can build your career and work with talented, engaged people committed to our cause to create a lasting Impact.
For how to apply, Click Here.