Job Title: Knowledge Management and Learning, M&E and Communications Manager
Position Type: Regular
Experience: 5- 10 years
Qualification: BA/BSC MBA/MSC/MA
Location: Abuja with regular visits to all our field locations in Nigeria
Position directly Supervises: Communications and Knowledge Sharing Officer and Monitoring Evaluation and Learning Officer
CARE Nigeria is a young CARE office with a growing humanitarian programme in the conflict
affected Northeast of the country (in particular Borno and Yobe States). With gender as a core focus the team is developing a strong portfolio of gender justice programmes focused on food and nutrition security and Livelihoods (FNSL), sexual and reproductive health rights (SRHR) and Gender-based violence prevention and response.
At this growth stage, the team needs support in areas of knowledge management, learning and impact measurement to ensure that staff are trained and knowledgeable in CARE’s frameworks and approaches (CI standards), that these are integrated and that impact is documented.
This position is to enhance program quality and impact by ensuring that CARE’s program in
Nigeria is addressing the underlying causes of poverty and vulnerability. He/She is also
responsible for building the capacity of Country Office and partner staff to design and implement relief and development programs according to industry best practice; and for overseeing the mainstreaming of cross-cutting initiatives women’s empowerment, partnership. Under his/her oversight, CARE’s programs are monitored and evaluated, and lessons learned are applied to project revisions and new project designs to improve CARE’s program quality. This includes dissemination both internally and externally. S/he will also need to have a good understanding of programmatic issues in both development and humanitarian contexts, across several sectors.
Job Responsibility 1
- Lead and cultivate a climate of reflection, learning and curiosity
- Supervise, Coach, motivate, hold accountable and inspire staff
- Ensure all program staff are knowledgeable of CARE’s programming frameworks and
impact measurement systems
- Ensure on-going training, reflection and learning
- Establish a practice of reflection, sharing and documentation
Job Responsibility 2
- Adapt and apply CARE’s Program Quality (PQ) Standards related to learning, KML to CO
Job Responsibility 3
- Provides leadership, training and coaching in learning and knowledge management for
- Ensure that monitoring and evaluation systems enhance accountability of COs vis-à-vis
the communities with whom we work as well as other stakeholders (civil society, donors
and government counterparts).
- Oversee development of terms of references for baseline surveys, evaluations and
- Ensure all projects have some form of baseline and end line measurement
- Oversee hiring and supervision of any M&E consultants
- Supervise all impact measurement work
- Ensure CARE M&E minimum standards are met
Job Responsibility 4
- Support teams in developing quality proposals in pursuit of funding opportunities
- Lead reflection process in proposal design workshops
- Support proposal writing and preparation process
- Ensure proposals are aligned to CARE frameworks and approaches
- Ensure rigorous impact measurement systems, learning and documentation are included
Job Responsibility 5
- Ensure synergy, reflection support and learning across departments, teams, offices and
- Coordinate regular program reflection sessions
- Ensure sharing across program teams
- Participate in CARE regional and global MEl communities of practice
- Establish partnerships with “think tanks”, universities and think tanks in Nigeria
Job Responsibility 6
- Ensure external relations, internal liaison and communications
- Provide regular, user-friendly internal communications (with COs, regional, CMPs) and
external knowledge products (for regional influencing work) on the evidence from CARE
and partners’ work, and what it is telling stakeholders about progress, learning and
- Develop communication products for internal and external audiences such as COs
- Prepare visuals for meetings and meeting reports, talking points and other type of internal communication materials.
- Rewrite/ repackage internal documents into external communication materials, like
leaflets, case studies, impact studies.
- Collect information to compile external communication materials when required, such as
human interest stories, pictures, etc.
- Ensure visibility of CARE’s work in Nigeria through internet, such as CARE Websites,
and topic-related websites such as Reliefweb, Devex, etc. and social media such as
Facebook and LinkedIn.
- Regularly provide high-resolution, good quality digital images of the emergency and
- Ensure good media relations and acts as CARE spokesperson as required.
- Master’s degree (or a combination of Bachelor’s degree and relevant work experience) in
agriculture, food nutrition security, climate change, development, international relations,
learning and knowledge management.
- Training or qualification in knowledge management & learning for influencing, research
methodology/research-into-use, and/or monitoring and evaluation systems
- Research project design training
- 5-7 years of progressively responsible professional experience in communications and MEL
- 4 + years in managerial and supervisory roles
- Ability to collect data quantitatively and qualitatively
- Knowledge of tools used to evaluate data
- Understanding of communication theories as well as knowledge of effective modern
- Emotional Intelligence
- Building Partnerships
- People Management
Method of Application
Applicants should send their Applications and detailed CV’s as a single document to:
By submitting your Application for this position you agree to CARE’s ZERO Tolerance to:
- Sexual Harassment, Exploitation, Abuse and Child Abuse
- Indicate clearly in the subject line of the email the position you are applying for and the
location (in Caps)
- Save your Application and CV with your name before attaching it
- Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
- CARE considers all applicants on the basis of merit without prejudice to sexual
orientation, disability, age, color, marital status, or veteran status.
- CARE International in Nigeria, is an equal -opportunity employer and does not
discriminate on the basis of national origin, religion, and race. Qualified women
especially are encouraged to apply.
- Application Deadline 23rd August, 2019.