How to become a member of the INGO Forum
To become a full member of the Nigeria INGO Forum, prospective members must submit a written application in the most recent version of the standard NIF registration form, which can be obtained from the Secretariat. All required documents must be provided with the application form. The application will be vetted by the Secretariat to ensure that it is properly and fully completed and that INGO Forum membership criteria are met.
Qualifying applications will be brought forward to the Steering Committee for review. New membership will require to be approved by a unanimous vote of the Steering Committee. Thereafter, member organizations will be given 3 business days to object via anonymous email to the INGO Forum Director. In the event an objection is registered or the Steering Committee vote is not unanimous, the acceptance of the new member will be brought to vote at the next Country Directors meeting or via an email vote that is facilitated by the Secretariat requiring a two-thirds (2/3) majority of members. The decision of acceptance or rejection will be communicated in writing to the applicant organisation by the Secretariat Director.
Criteria for membership
All INGOs meeting the following requirements are eligible to apply for membership to the INGO Forum:
- The organization is a non-governmental, not-for-profit, non-partisan, non-political and non-proselytising organisation providing humanitarian assistance, recovery and development orientated assistance in line with the Humanitarian Principles, Do No Harm, the Code of Conduct of the Red Cross/ Red Crescent Movement and NGOs in Disaster Relief;
- The organization has a permanent presence and is actively working in Nigeria in the humanitarian and/or development field. The INGO must have full-time presence in Nigeria;
- The organization is legally eligible to work in Nigeria or in the process of applying for registration and becoming legally established;
- Demonstrates a commitment to abide by the INGO Forum Statutes of Governance;
- The organization is formally endorsed / recommended by two (2) existing INGO Forum members acting as a reference during the membership process. The organisation shall then be approved by a majority vote within the Steering Committee.
The INGO Forum is composed of full members and observers and will continue to remain open to new members throughout the INGO Forum’s lifetime.