Title: Advocacy and Communications Manager
Classification: Level 8
Location (Country & Base): Nigeria, Damaturu
Contract duration: 1 year
Starting date: As Soon As Possible
Direct Line Manager: Area Coordinator
The Advocacy and Communications Manager will lead the AAH policy and advocacy efforts
in Yobe state while working in close coordination with the advocacy coordination team under supervision of the Area Coordinator. Focusing on the early-recovery context and the AAH Nigeria advocacy strategy, the Advocacy and Communications Manager will play a key role in developing and implementing a field-level advocacy and communications strategy that will inform the policy agenda and enhance collaboration with communities, government stakeholders, partners and the media. This position will also provide overall management of advocacy and communication action plans for AAH projects in the state.
Tasks & responsibilities
Expand, coordinate and improve AAH’s advocacy and communication work for tackling undernutrition in Yobe State.
- Development of project specific advocacy action plans and provide technical guidance
throughout their implementation.
- Develop and drive implementation of the state focused advocacy and communication
plans in collaboration with advocacy coordination team.
- Analyse and understand the state government structures, parliamentary and political
processes including key decision making structures and how to influence them.
- Increase visibility and dissemination of AAH programme interventions by developing a
range of communications materials and other activities for sharing with the stakeholders.
- Identify both global, federal and state events/celebrations and organize awareness raising events and campaigns.
- Explore media opportunities for broadcasting AAH activities and showcasing community initiatives.
- To develop or contribute to development of advocacy and communications products such as policy briefings, letters, submissions and other advocacy products.
- Facilitate documentation and coordinate the collection of evidence from AAH programs in the state to influence state policies and practices.
- Closely monitor humanitarian and early recovery policy debates ensuring that relevant information is analyzed and disseminated in a timely and effective manner.
- Facilitate institutional capacity building of government stakeholders, partners and AAH Staff as per AAH mandate.
- Facilitate and create platforms for active and meaningful engagement with the government stakeholders on issues relevant for implementation of humanitarian, recovery and development efforts in Yobe State.
Collaboration and representation in advocacy fora
- Raise awareness and knowledge about AAH mandate, activities and principles
- Raise awareness about humanitarian principles
- Provide Coordination team with regular updates on the political and policy
developments in the State as well as humanitarian updates and state level
- Develop and coordinating partnerships with other parties on advocacy activities (NGO,
civil society) and facilitating joint advocacy activities.
- Engage in networking, building relations with Federal and States stakeholders to
continually inform, challenge and improve advocacy messages and tactics
- Represent AAH and contribute to advocacy related working groups (INGO and UN
Working groups & task forces) and other coordination meetings.
- Undertake advocacy and lobbying as required with state decision-making bodies and
- In collaboration with the advocacy coordination team, support the development of
policy and advocacy materials such as talking points, briefing notes, position papers
- Undertake additional coordination as requested by the DCD Humanitarian and Area
Capacity building and repository of information
- Coordinated organizational and staff capacity assessment and plan appropriate
capacity building on communication and advocacy as per the capacity needs
- Responsible for regular progress reports on advocacy and communication activities,
outcomes, lessons learned, best practices and challenges at the state level.
- Create repository of advocacy and communication initiatives, tools and documents
and support colleagues in identification, documenting and drafting of best practices
and lessons learned from AAH interventions.
- Provide context specific, field-level information to national and global advocacy
- Complete monthly and quarterly Activity Progress Reports
- Internal and external evaluation reports
- Learning documents and case studies
- Ad-hoc reports (e.g. assessments reports, baseline, newsletter, publications)
- Bachelor’s Degree in Development related fields, with at least 2-3 years of relevant work experience in development and humanitarian.
- Minimum 2 year experience in an advocacy position
- Experience in working with coalitions and within multi-agency forums.
- Engaging with governments and/or multilateral institutions at different levels.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Credibility to lobby, network, influence and represent AAH Nigeria at all levels.
- Must be disciplined and able to work autonomously and arrive at decisions and conclusions with minimal guidance.
- Proven ability to learn and adapt Professional, motivated, open, creative, mature, responsible, flexible and, culturally sensitive
- Previous experience with advocacy or communication duties
- Microsoft Office Skills (Outlook, Excel, Power Point, Word)
- Willing and able to be based and travel regularly within remote areas, where services are limited.
- Excellent writing/editing, analytical and verbal communication skills
- Fluency in English and Hausa/Kanuri (written and spoken)
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Commitment to AAH mission, values and policy
- Familiar with Northeast Nigeria context
How To Apply
Send CVs to advman@ng-