Job Location: Maiduguri
Terre des hommes (Tdh) is a leading Swiss organisation for children’s aid. Since 1960, Tdh has helped build a better future for deprived children and their communities, making an impact with innovative and sustainable solutions. Active in more than 45 countries, Tdh works with local and international partners to develop and implement field projects which improve the daily lives of over 3 million children and their relatives, in the domains of health, protection and emergency relief. This engagement is financed by individual and institutional support, with administrative costs kept to a minimum.
Tdh in Nigeria implements projects in Health, Wash, Child Protection and Education sectors.
Reporting to the Child Protection and Education in Emergencies Team Leader, the main purpose of this position is to carry out an array of age and gender appropriate psychosocial support activities for the most vulnerable and at-risk children, adolescents and caregivers with respect to their culture and contextual sensitivities. The activities will be well-integrated into North-eastern Nigerian protection system and humanitarian coordination practices and guidelines. The activities will be carried out in Borno State areas according to the evolving needs of the project.
Responsibilities & Tasks
- Conduct specific child-focused activities for psychosocial well-being and building resilience of most vulnerable and at-risk children and adolescents by ensuring a variety of activities that include active games, sports, expressive/creative activities, life skills, educational activities.
- Mobilize adolescent boys and girls to launch empowering activities that suit their interest, promote their psychosocial well-being and create an opportunity for their direct social engagement at community level.
- Conduct emotional group support sessions for caregivers.
- Conduct awareness sessions on child protection issues and issues affecting the protection and well-being of children.
- Provide basic counselling sessions to support children and their caregivers to better cope with difficulties, distress and enhance their resilience.
- Identify vulnerable children and adults in a need of protection or support and conduct referral to the case management team.
- Establish and maintain positive and efficient relations with target beneficiaries, community members, humanitarian actors and all the other key stakeholders.
- Ensure availability of the PSS materials and safe storage and maintenance of the PSS materials.
- Prepare weekly activity schedule, keep record of newly registered beneficiaries, fill beneficiaries daily’s attendance lists and other reports as required by the line manager and ensure accuracy and timely submission.
- Under the guidance of the Team Leader, conduct participatory monitoring activities to collect beneficiaries feedback and opinions on the quality and satisfaction of activities.
- Provide supervision, mentorship and guidance to PSS volunteers.
- Perform any other job-related duties as requested by the line manager.
- Promote inclusion and equal access for every child, paying particular attention to the most vulnerable and at-risk children.
- Identify potential cases of children victims and/or at heightened risk of violence, abuse, exploitation and neglect and any other child protection concern or threat and report to the Case Work Officer.
- Maintain strict confidentiality regarding information and data of beneficiaries at all times.
- Ensure Tdh Child Safeguarding Policy and Child Protection Minimum Standards are mainstreamed through all the programmatic activities.
- Report serious cases of abuse committed against children to the Child Protection Project Manager. Strict confidentiality must be respected.
Coordination & Representation
- Coordinates with other Tdh sectors to ensure implementation of standardized activities and with other departments (programme and support) of Tdh Nigeria as necessary
- Represent Tdh project in fora and meetings held at site level in her/his field of expertise.
- Fully comply with Tdh Code of Conduct and ensure Child Safeguarding Policy is upheld at all times.
- Ensure adherence to Tdh standards and quality requirements in all the project activities.
- Adhere to and ensure the team under her/his responsibility follows Tdh administrative and logistical regulations and procedures.
- Language Skills: Fluent in local languages and in English (speaking/reading/writing).
- Education Degree: University degree in social work, social studies, psychology, education or any other related discipline.
- Work experience: Minimum 1 year experience in the field of child protection / protection/SGBV/ PSS.
- Knowledge & skills: Excellent analytical and writing skills, creative thinking.
- Computer skills: Good knowledge of the MS office software.
- Other: Knowledge of protection systems in Northeastern Nigeria/ Excellent knowledge of protection issues and best practices / Previous experience in drafting PSS activity plans and structured plans of recreational activities is highly desirable / Previous experience in working with youth target groups is of a benefit.
- Acquaintance with NGO’ rules, procedures and regulations; Acquaintance with the Child Protection Minumim Standards
HOW TO APPLY?
Interested candidates should submit copies of updated CV, Motivation Letter, copies of National ID card and 3 references.
Applications should be sent by 14 April 2019 to the below email address. email@example.com Applications will be processed on a rolling basis.
Please Write “The name of the position applying in the subject line of your mail’’. E.g. Application for the position of………………………
The position must be clearly indicated on the application. Only candidates who meet the selection criteria will be contacted for further steps of the recruitment.
This position is open to Nigerian national only.