Job Location: Maiduguri
Terre des hommes (Tdh) is leading Swiss organisation for children’s aid. Since 1960, Tdh has helped build a better future for deprived children and their communities, making an impact with innovative and sustainable solutions. Active in more than 45 countries, Tdh works with local and international partners to develop and implement field projects which improve the daily lives of over 3 million children and their relatives, in the domains of health, protection and emergency relief. This engagement is financed by individual and institutional support, with administrative costs kept to a minimum.
Tdh in Nigeria implements projects in Health, Wash, Child Protection and Education sectors.
Reporting to the Chid Protection and Education in Emergencies Team Leader, with close support from the Deputy Child Protection and Education in Emergencies Project Manager, the Education Officer is responsible to support the development and implementation of the Education activities in the project locations. This position will take responsibility for planning, implementation, monitoring and reporting of TdHs education programme to improve children’s learning outcomes (literacy, Numeracy and life skills) through both formal and non-formal education activities.
Responsibilities and Tasks
- Provide technical support in the areas of education in emergencies to teachers, facilitators, volunteers and community members engaged in the project.
- Closely collaborate with all the concerned stakeholders to ensure that programme goals are achieved and sustained.
- Actively participate in education-related activities and meetings, and seek active
collaboration with other players working in the education sector.
- Adhere to the work plan and ensure the activities are fully implemented as per the
national/international and North-east Nigeria Education Sector guidelines.
- Ensure close supervision and support to field based education activities
- Support in establisment of CPiE component within the Education activities
- Support set up of clear referral pathways between Education and CP teams in close
colllaboration with PSS and Case Work Officers
- Identify and communicate project gaps, challenges and vulnerabilities to the line manager on a timely basis and suggest possible solutions to the problems.
- Actively participate in set up of clear monitoring and evaluation plan (including development and implentation of tools)
- Feed the project monitoring tools with highest level of accuracy in close coordination with project monitoring team.
- Establish and strengthen School Based Management Committees including training and
Coordination and Representation
- Liaise with relevant governemnt authorities, State Universal Basis Education Board, Camp Coordination and Camp Management and relevant humanitarian actors for the proper coordination and implementation of the project.
- Participate in the preparation of monthly, quarterly and final report based on project targets and results.
- Promote inclusion and equal access to education for every child, paying particular attention to the most vulnerable and at-risk children;
- Maintain strict confidentiality regarding information and data of beneficiaries at all times;
- Ensure Tdh Child Safeguarding Policy and Child Protection Minimum Standards are
mainstreamed through all the programmatic activities;
- Report serious cases of abuse committed against children to the Child Protection Project
Manager. Strict confidentiality must be respected.
- Fully comply with Tdh Code of Conduct and ensure Child Safeguarding Policy is upheld at
- Ensure adherence to Tdh standards and quality requirements in all the project activities.
- Adhere to and ensure the team under her/his responsibility follows Tdh administrative
and logistical regulations and procedures.
- Language Skills: Fluent in local languages and in English (speaking/reading/writing).
- Education Degree: University degree in Social Work, Education, Social Studies, Human
Rights, or any other related discipline.
- Work experience: Minimum 2 years of experience in the field of Child Protection / Education / SGBV/ Social work / Case management.
- Knowledge & skills: Good analytical and writing skills.
- Computer skills: Good knowledge of the MS office software.
- Other: Knowledge of protection systems in Northeastern Nigeria/Good capacity building
and supervisory skills/ Excellent knowledge of protection and education in emergencies /
Previous experience in child protection and education in emergencies is highly desirable.
- Acquaintance with NGO rules, procedures and regulations; Acquaintance with the Child
Protection Minumim Standards, good knowledge of the Inter-agency Guidelines for Case
Management and Child Protection. Inter-Agency Network for Education in Emergencies
Minimum Standards (INEE MS) and other existing global guidelines and tools for EiE.
HOW TO APPLY?
Interested candidates should submit their applications here and ensure to attach their updated CV, Motivation Letter in a single file on or before 26 May 2019.
Applications will be processed on a rolling basis.
Only candidates who meet the selection criteria will be contacted for further steps of the recruitment.
Qualified female candidates are highly encouraged to apply. Qualified differently abled people are highly encouraged to apply.
This position is open to Nigerian national only.