Job location: Maiduguri
Terre des hommes (Tdh) is leading Swiss organisation for children’s aid. Since 1960, Tdh has helped build a better future for deprived children and their communities, making an impact with innovative and sustainable solutions. Active in more than 45 countries, Tdh works with local and international partners to develop and implement field projects which improve the daily lives of over 3 million children and their relatives, in the domains of health, protection and emergency relief. This engagement is financed by individual and institutional support, with administrative costs kept to a minimum.
Tdh in Nigeria implements projects in Health, Wash, Child Protection and Education sectors.
Reporting to the Chid Protection and Education in Emergencies Program Manager, with close support from the Deputy Child Protection and Education in Emergencies Project Manager, the Capacity Development Officer is responsible to support the development and implementation of the capacity development strategy including designing or adapting capacity development tools, systems and assessment methodologies in the areas of Child Protection and Education in Emergencies. He/she proactively identifies external opportunities for increasing the technical capacities of staff in Child Protection and Education in Emergencies and other cross cutting themes.
Responsibilities and Task
Capacity Building and Development
- Conduct regular staff training need assessments of child protection and education teams, including volunteers, and other staff to be trained in child protection and education thematic areas.
- Develop a staff capacity building plan responding to regular needs assessment in
coordination with the Child Protection and Education Program Managers with technical
guidance from the Project Coordinator.
- Regularly review Child Protection staff progress through field supervision/observation,
meetings and other forms of evaluation to inform need for additional trainings.
- Develop/adapt training modules on areas retated to child protection and education in
emergencies in line with Tdh thematic policy and operational guidance and inter-agency
standards and best practices.
- Develop and update individual training file for each staff that tracks attended trainings
either internal or external according to each individual need assessment and response plan.
- Identify and promptly inform the line manager on upcoming training opportunities in
Nigeria to maximize access to training opportunities.
- Liaise regularly with the Program Manager on training and development needs of child
protection and education teams to meet project needs.
- Identify and share with Project Manager and/or staff any resources that can support field
staff to meet the objectives of the project(s).
- Provide support to Program Manager in designing modules and tools relating to activities
aiming to build the capacity of local actors (i.e. inputs on contents and methods of delivery) and support in conducting the trainings/sessions as required.
- Store and update the training packages/contents on agency platforms in coordination with Program Manager.
Coordination and representation
- Coordinate with other Tdh sectors to ensure mainstreaming and implementation of
- Liaise with other humanitarian actors to seek opportunities for capacity development of
child protection and education staff.
- Handle logistic preparations prior to sending Tdh staff to external trainings;
- In charge of identifying training venues, collecting information regarding potential costs
arising from internal and external training opportunities and promptly inform the Program Manager.
- Fully comply with Tdh Code of Conduct and ensure Child Safeguarding Policy is upheld at all times.
- Ensure adherence to Tdh standards and quality requirements in all the project activities.
- Adhere to and ensure the team under her/his responsibility follows Tdh administrative and logistical regulations and procedures.
- Language Skills: Fluent in local languages and in English (speaking/reading/writing).
- Education Degree: University degree in social work, social studies, human rights, or any
other related disciplines
- Work experience: Minimum 2 years of experience in the field of Child Protection/
Protection/Education/SGBV/Social work/Case management.
- Knowledge & skills: Good analytical and writing skills.
- Computer skills: Good knowledge of the MS office software.
- Other: Knowledge of protection systems in Northeastern Nigeria/Good capacity building and supervisory skills/Excellent knowledge of protection and education in emergencies/
Previous experience in child protection and education in emergencies is highly desirable.
- Acquaintance with NGO rules, procedures and regulations;
- Acquaintance with the Child Protection Minimum Standards,
- Good knowledge of the Inter-agency Guidelines for Case Management and Child Protection.
HOW TO APPLY?
Interested candidates should submit their applications here and ensure to attach their updated CV, Motivation Letter in a single file on or before 26 May 2019.
Applications will be processed on a rolling basis.
Only candidates who meet the selection criteria will be contacted for further steps of the recruitment.
Qualified female candidates are highly encouraged to apply. Qualified differently abled people are highly encouraged to apply.
This position is open to Nigerian national only.