JOB TITLE: Human Resource Officer
TEAM: West Africa Cluster
LOCATION: Jos (with visit to North East Maiduguri)
RESPONSIBLE TO: Country Director (CD)
Background on Tearfund
Tearfund is an international relief and development agency working globally to end
poverty and injustice, and to restore dignity and hope in some of the world’s
We have a vision to see 50 million people released from material poverty. We
operate in more than fifty countries around the world. We deliver our strategy by:
- Developing communities and building resilience, sustainably and holistically
- Changing unjust policies and practices to deliver justice for poor
- Enabling communities affected by disaster and conflict to recover quickly
and be better equipped to face future hazards.
We are committed to developing experts who are inspired, resourceful, courageous,
compassionate and equipped. If you are interested in working with us, take time to
look around our website and discover more about our unique organisation.
PART 1 – JOB DESCRIPTION
1. JOB OVERVIEW
To provide personnel, administration and other general support to the CD in the Tearfund Nigeria Programme to ensure efficient and effective systems and procedures, whilst remaining legally and Tearfund compliant.
2. POSITION IN ORGANISATION
- Grade 5
- Reports to the Country Director
- Closely relates to other members of the Programme Team: Programme Manager (PM) Support Services Coordinator(SSC), Disaster Response Manager(DRM), Finance Manager and Cluster HR Adviser as necessary
3. ORGANISATIONAL REQUIREMENTS
- The post-holder will, at all times, carry out their responsibilities in accordance with Tearfund’s Safeguarding Policy.
- The post-holder will be required to actively participate in the spiritual life of Tearfund in the following ways:
- To model godly leadership in all aspects of character and conduct.
- To lead or contribute in Christian worship, prayer, teaching and biblical reflections during collective staff prayer times and encourage staff to attend as is appropriate.
- To be committed to and share in the outworking of Tearfund’s Mission, Purpose, Values and Beliefs statement.
- To actively work and live in accordance with Tearfund’s Statement of Faith and Tearfund’s Christian ethos.
- To pursue and maintain a Christian faith through ongoing personal spiritual development and a relationship with God.
- To provide support and spiritual encouragement to staff and colleagues, in line with biblical principles.
- The post-holder will be expected to behave in accordance with Tearfund’s ‘Code of Conduct’ as referred to in the Personal Conduct Policy.
- Maintain a thorough knowledge of Tearfund HR policies and assist the CD in ensuring employee adherence.
- Assist the CD in the interpretation and implementation of the full range of Tearfund policies and procedures.
- Ensure HR files (both soft and hard copies) are complete and assure adherence to highest level of confidentiality.
- Maintain updated job description database.
- Ensure timely submission of monthly timesheets.
- Close and archive HR files on timely basis.
- Ensure that staff lists are up to date and circulated to the CD on a monthly basis
- Assist the CD in documentation of minutes of meetings, ensuring appropriate filing
- Assist in the recruitment processes ensuring compliance to hiring policies and procedures, and that best practice are followed and documented.
- Vacancy posting in internal and external media as appropriate.
- Conduct interviews and provide interview outcome summary.
- Liaison with potential candidates and assemble required documentation.
- Maintain tracking system of the recruitment process and compile bi-monthly reports on recruitment.
- Conduct orientation of new staff.
Salary and Benefits Administration:
- Process monthly payroll on timely basis ensuring complete and accurate documentation.
- Ensure that the payroll is well supported and documented on a monthly basis
- Monitor expiry of staff contracts and advise the CD on timely basis.
- Monitor induction process, ensuring that performance objectives are set and, and that probation evaluation reviews are submitted on timely basis.
- Prepare monthly staff list.
- Maintain master leave database and ensure timely update of leave forms.
- Ensure complete documentation for all staff movement.
- Track leave, R&R/toil and business days out of duty locations.
- Coordinate the exit process.
- Preparation of employee final dues ensuring that the documentation is complete and filed.
- Act as the primary liaison focal point for all procedural issues.
- Provide support to field locations with systems and procedures for smooth implementation of Tearfund policies and procedures.
- Make monitoring visits to field locations at least on quarterly basis to facilitate trainings and observations of internal controls in field locations.
CORPORATE POLICY AND COMPLIANCE
- Contribute towards promoting and adhering to Tearfund’s Purpose, Core Values and Operating Principles.
- Provide support and guidance to team members to ensure all activities are compliant with standard operating procedures.
- Support the induction of all staff, ensuring their familiarity with Tearfund’s mandate, values, quality standards, policies and programme objectives and their individual responsibilities in upholding these standards and policies.
- Contribute towards compliance with all host country legal, contractual and statutory requirements as delegated by the CD.
- Establish good working relationships with other agencies, and with clerical staff of governmental offices to facilitate administrative procedures.
- Attend relevant inter-agency coordination meetings as required.
Liaison with the Nigeria Government
- Act as the principle contact point between Tearfund and the Social Welfare Council (SWC) and line Ministries
- Assist with registration related meetings with Ministry of Budget and planning and other government line Ministries
Download full job description.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested applicants should send their applications with not more than two pages summary CV (relevant to the advertised position and person specification) to email@example.com. Applications should reach Tearfund by 4 pm, Friday 12th July, 2019.
Short-listed applicants will receive an email invitation for interviews tentatively fixed for Tuesday 16th (Written) and Wednesday 17th (Oral)July 2019