Note: For Nigerian nationals only.
Deadline: February 8, 2019
NRC is looking for a Media and Communications Coordinator for our Country programme based in Maiduguri – North Eastern Nigeria. The purpose of the Media and Communications Coordinator position is to support the development and implementation of the media and communication portfolio in all NRC Nigeria program activities.
NRC initiated country operations in Nigeria in June 2015, in order to respond to the critical and increasing needs in the country. NRC currently has a full team based in Maiduguri and a coordination office in Abuja. NRC is currently providing services across various sectors namely; Shelter and Non-Food Items (NFI); Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion (WaSH); Livelihoods and Food Security; Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA) and Education in order to address identified humanitarian needs.
The Media and Communications Coordinator reports to the Advocacy Manager.
- Advice and support programs in donor visibility requirements in all publications, prints and social media.
- Ensure at all times compliance with and adherence to NRC policies.
- Promote, give input, guidance and advice on general communications work for all staff.
- Responsible for ensuring production of high quality media and communications materials.
- Conduct trainings and on the job technical capacity building of programme staff.
- Manage and implement media and communication delegated portfolio (activities and documentation) from the Advocacy Manager in line with proposals, strategies and donor requirements, and ensure high technical quality.
- Provide regular progress reports to Advocacy Manager.
- Liaise and collaborate with relevant local authorities and other key stakeholders
- Visit on a regular basis the area of implementation as required.
- In coordination with the Advocacy Manager, represent NRC in coordination meetings with local authorities and NGOs when required.
- Strong and documented writing skills for humanitarian organisations or comparable.
- Strong and documented experience in working with social media such as Facebook and Twitter.
- Knowledge of working with donors, visibility standards, and publications’ writing and production.
- Previous documented experience in working as a Media or Communication Coordinator in a humanitarian/recovery context.
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts.
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal .
- Fluency in Hausa, both written and verbal, is an asset.
- Knowledge of the context in Nigeria.
- Advertising / Media studies
- College / University, Bachelor’s degree
- Handling insecure environments.
- Managing resources to optimize results.
- Empowering and building trust.
- Managing performance and development.
- Planning and delivering results.
- Ability to work under pressure, independently and with limited supervision.
- Highest standard of ethics and integrity.
- A good sense of humour is an asset.
- All employees of the Norwegian Refugee Council should be able to adhere to our Code of Conduct and the four organizational values: Dedicated, innovative, inclusive and accountable.
- Commencement: March 2019.
- Duration: 12 months.
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions. Grade Level 7 Step 1.
- Duty station: Maiduguri, with 40% frequent travels. Travel outside Maiduguri is dependent on changing security conditions, especially for certain roads in the area.
- Approved health certificate will be requested before contract start.
- Application procedures and CV registration: Please note that you are required to enter the geographical location for all your previous positions while registering your CV. There is no specific field for this information in our CV form, but you can use the “Company name” field for both company and location.