Location: Abuja, Nigeria (With 20% travel to other program locations)
Position Status: Full-time, Field-based, and Regular.
Reference Number: ABV/PRO/2019/0011
Application Deadline: 19th May, 2019.
About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future. Mercy Corps has been working in Nigeria since 2012 in the most marginalized regions of the country to deliver urgent, lifesaving assistance and promote development. We partner with communities to help them recover and rebuild, while addressing root causes of conflict, insecurity, and inequality. Every month we help ensure that more than 100,000 people have enough food to eat, and our work impacts the lives of over 600,000 people across the country.
Program / Department Summary:
This is a five-year United States Agency for International Development (USAID)-funded Community Initiative to Promote Peace (CIPP). The CIPP program aims to strengthen conflict prevention, mediation and early warning by facilitating community-led analysis and action to prevent, manage, and mitigate conflict and violent extremism. The program will work in twenty-four (24) high-risk local government areas in Benue, Kaduna, Kano, Katsina, Kogi and Plateau states.
General Position Summary
Under the supervision of the Program Officer, the Program Assistant is responsible for making sure that all systems are in order for workshops, team travel and program diary. In addition, the Program Assistant helps to develop materials, translate documents, and organize the program files, including updating the program Management and Mercy Corps (PM@MC) file on a regular basis.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Collaborate with the procurement staff on collecting invoices and finishing the procurement process to purchase materials for CIPP.
- Assist with planning travel and workshops and other program events.
- Assist groups in case they have problems that hinder the project in the field.
- Remain flexible and willing to handle unforeseen circumstances.
- Write minutes of CIPP and working group meetings.
- Send, receive, and dispatch information to the field. Follow-up on difficult to reach sites in order to ensure that every correspondence makes it to the proper destination. Always double-check that correspondence has arrived in the hands of the proper person.
- Assist in facilitating field visits for Mercy Corps staff and coordination of USAID field visits.
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
ACCOUNTABILITY TO BENEFICIARIES
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability,
specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Reports Directly To: Program Officer
Works Directly With: Sr. Program Officers, Program Officers, MEL team, DCOP, COP,
finance, procurement, Admin and security teams.
Knowledge and Experience
- Willingness to engage in problem-solving and troubleshooting.
- Advanced degree in English or the Social Sciences
- Excellent computer skills, including with graphics, and expertise in PowerPoint, Explorer,
PhotoShop and digital camera technology, Excel and Outlook Express.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Willingness to interact effectively with international and national personnel.
- Ability to perform several activities simultaneously, while maintaining a controlled presence.
- Excellent communication and writing skills.
- Strong team player.
The program Assistant will be a smooth operator with strong communication and organizational skills. S/he will have strong interpersonal skills, and ability to move teams and issues at short notice.
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions
The position is based in Abuja and it requires up to 20% travel to field offices.
How to apply
Applicants should their CVs and Cover Letters in one document, addressing the position requirements, reference number and location to: email@example.com on or before 19th May, 2019.
- All applications must include the position title and reference number in the subject line
- Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview
- We are an equal opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position