SOS Children’s Villages work in more than 133 countries to support families and help children at risk grow up in a loving home. In Nigeria, SOS Children’s Villages has been active since 1973 and has presence in Isolo-Lagos, Owu-Ijebu, Ogun State, Gwagwalada-Abuja, Jos-Plateau State, Ibadan-Oyo State and Kaduna-Kaduna State.
Job Location: Borno State
Position Overview: The Child Protection Officer will implement the child protection policy in emergency project activities and other related Child Protection activities within the North East, Nigeria. He/she works will be responsible for the collection of information needed to identify, register, and analyse the humanitarian needs of children and care givers. These include unaccompanied and Separated Children (UASCs) survivor of SGBV, SAM, and other children in need. He/she will design the follow-up plan for each identified child and actively contribute in case management, collaborating with the other Case Workers and Community Support Case Workers to deal directly with the beneficiaries in the targeted areas.
- Ensures effective and efficient project activities in compliance with project work plan;
- Supervises, supports and leads the Case Management team members (Case workers, psycho-social team, Data Clerk);
- Ensures all cases are properly managed, according to the guidelines, the available referral pathway and service mapping;
- Prepares and coordinates trainings for community leaders, social workers and case workers on Case Management and Child Protection in Emergencies;
- Guides the Data entry clerks using the CPMIS on the required global Child Protection Standards;
- Communicates regularly with Case Workers’ Team Leader for updates on achievements and challenges;
- Directly communicates effectively with other case workers as part of conducting individual case management when needed.
- Collects from the Case Workers’ Team Leader the reports from all the targeted areas and supervises the overall integrity and uniformity of methods among the different areas of works and teams;
- Compiles and reports to the Field Coordinator, all cases that require referrals, highlighting gaps and recommendations;
- Collaborates with the Field Coordinator to represent SOS CV with the local / State authorities and other partners (Child Protection Working Sector and other cluster meetings);
- Ensures that all the documentation for Case management of Unaccompanied and Separated Children is conducted and filed accordingly to the required standards;
- Prepares and forwards to the Field Officer monthly work plans and progress reports for the entire Child Protection project based on set indicators for the 5W matrix and any other required reporting to partners and donors;
- identifies program gaps and suggest to the Field Coordinator mitigating actions in periodic reports;
- Collects and documents success stories and photographs for reports;
- Ensures that case file cabins are locked and keys secured; to be accessed with his/her permission;
- Adopt standard operating procedure for the Child Protection and case management system and data management protocols;
- Performs any other necessary action related with the position to achieve the objectives of the project and of SOS CV in Nigeria if requested by the Field Coordinator;
- Follows and enforces all SOS CV codes of conduct and policies;
- Perform any other lawful actions related with the position needed to achieve the objectives of the projects and of SOS CV if requested by his/her supervisor.
Education required: Technical diploma or degree in social work, human rights, or related degree preferred
Experience & Skills required
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience of implementing child protection programs, preferable social work or case management, in humanitarian or development settings
- Demonstrated understanding of working with children and particularly vulnerable children
- Personal qualities: Team player, flexible, network-builder, able to handle pressure well and work in cross-cultural setting.
- Fluency in English, Hausa and/or (other languages) preferred or required.
Click here to apply for this role.